Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Penelope Puddle Meets A Rainbow

PENELOPE PUDDLE is an imaginary character my daughter began painting when she was small. She might have been inspired by the stories I used to tell about a little girl named Penny and her favorite teddy bear. Merging those adventures with the rainy West Coast weather, the drawings depict a little girl with unruly hair who wears a raincoat and a cap pulled over her head. With rare exceptions, the teddy bear is not there and Penelope explores the outdoors with her treasured sidekick umbrella.

Over the years I preserved these bits of drawings and paintings gifted to me on special occasions. I developed the concept further and adapted the art into handcrafted greeting cards, calendars and booklets. Brimming with ideas for the future I have had endless hours of fun with the character.

You could say Penelope Puddle is the imaginary friend I never had as a child. I am hooked on this little girl who is a creative outlet for me as well as a therapeutic tool to help weather life's storms.

When thinking of a word starting with “P”, a painting of Penelope holding her teddy bear instead of the umbrella comes to mind. I took a picture of it one day when a crystal ornament at my window caught a sunbeam and washed a rainbow over the painting hanging on a nearby wall.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

This post showcases the letter "P" for Penelope Puddle and painting. If you think words are fun and enjoy playing with the alphabet, visit ABC Wednesday.

12 comments:

  1. Perfect P post and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and a great photo of the rainbow prism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story about your daughter and Penelope Puddle. She is quite an artist. I hope you will write more about Penelope! Have a great week.
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortuitous, a rainbow falling on Penelope P. It's beautiful.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I thought the rainbow was painted!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. PERFECT PORTRAYAL!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story and memories. I had perhaps you won an award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a great little character, I love the images that you have shared, this one with the rainbow is quite special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I somehow missed this second "P" post, but how could I have forgotten Penelope Puddle?? I love that you captured the "rainbow" over her painting. That was a truly magical moment, now preserved with your photograph. And, sharing the "therapeutic" aspect of this relationship was really touching. We should all be so lucky as to have imaginary friends who lead us along creative journeys in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I understood very well who Penelope is in a red raincoat and cap. Spotlighted with rainbow she is so fantastic. I hope you will write more about this lovely story.
    keiko

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the rainbow was painted like the painting on the sidebar. You captured the moment nicely! Talking of letter P, I quickly have “penelope”, “puddle”. “positive”, “pleasant”, “photography”, “productive”, .....in my mind regarding you, penelope.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely painting by your daughter and wonderful capture of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.