Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Little Flag Waving In My World


WITH HALLOWEEN leftover treats still to eat, I was surprised to find all the goblins and pumpkins at the mall had vanished to be replaced by Christmas decorations and, of course, poppies. Remembrance Day is near and it is time for a little flag waving. I hope you enjoy "O Canada", the national anthem of Canada sung a cappella by my daughter and her friends who were in a barbershop quartet several years ago.

The words “we stand on guard for thee” bring to mind two soldiers recently killed on Canadian soil ... one literally standing on guard at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. This has resulted in a heightened awareness of the dangers the military face … even at home.



Donations to the Royal Canadian Legion are sure to be sky high this year, especially when poppies are being offered by refreshingly polite and brightly smiling youth in uniform.

Fear and fanaticism have a way of intruding on societies yet to eradicate war.

Although seemingly out of reach, perhaps John Lennon's vision "imagine there's no countries ... nothing to kill or die for" will one day be realized and flags from around the globe will wave peacefully in a harmonious world.



Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

To see more sights from around the globe visit Our World at the sidebar.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

15 comments:

  1. We have a Poppy donation box at the gallery. First time to see this. Glad it is there. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. So sad all the violence and unnecessary deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving post. And so ironic that Poppy Day is about remembering the war and how we promised never to have another one, yet the killing still goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of the young smiling sailor with his poppies. We call it Veteran's Day in the US, but I like Remembrance Day better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tribute to the protectors of your country ~ great shots ~

    Happy Week to you!
    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very moving post indeed!! It seems that's all there is in the papers/TV these days. I got rid of my TV and stopped taking the paper, but you still can't completely escape the daily horrors!! Take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living in Montreal, Quebec, I am very familiar with the incidents both here in Quebec and Ottawa. Very sad.

    The poppies have a special place in my heart. My father was a veteran and a prisoner in World War II. Very moving post, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did not realise you had poppys there as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post, poignant. We can live in hope for a peaceful world, and I always will remain hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, Maria, that may be one of the most beautiful renditions of O Canada I've heard. Thank you for those sweet voices and beautiful thoughts. I am a big Remembrance Day fan and poppy wearer.. but you know that. Yes, let's leave Christmas until the month of December!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post for so close to Remembrance Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope every day that John Lennon's words come true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned about poppies and the Remembrance Day after I started blogging. No wonder it must be the time the feel of love of country is heightened. The national anthem of Canada sung in a cappella by your daughter and her friends sound so beautiful. It’s not time to confront but to see the same direction to fight against real human enemies like terrible viruses

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am loving your quick pics and pithy captions on your other blog. Is there a way to say so over there? Or do you not want comments? It's probably right in front of me ; I might be a little sleep-deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we have a poppy day here as well
    great post I love the words of John Lennon let's hope his imagination becomes reality

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.