Sunday, December 7, 2014

Glimmers Of Kindness Along The Way

A ONE DAY snowfall last week melted slowly thanks to the chilly weather and lack of rain.

The slush we normally get in southwest BC after flakes fall did not appear, giving nature a chance to form glittery gems with its icy palette.

When the sun peeked through the clouds, pinpoints of light sparkled everywhere.

Sadly, I did not capture the effervescent qualities with my camera ... but I think we are all familiar with that special glow.

"Nature gives to every time and season some beauties of its own," said Charles Dickens who perhaps found crystallized snow as fascinating as the vibrant petals of summer.

When days get bleak and there is no sparkle, we cheer up the environment by bringing traditionally indoor decorations into the outdoors. Pretty baubles give passersby a lift on gray winter days, even though they are hollow.

There is a dim side to the approaching festive season that highlights materialism and focuses on unrealistically perfect conditions. The world can look contrastingly grim to the depressed or lonely who might have a hard time reaching out and could do with some kindness. The Dalai Lama said, “There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

Kind volunteers from the Hospice Society set up a booth at the local mall. I made a small donation and was given a bird with lovely peacockish patterns. Although it does not glitter, this handpainted gift brought out the sparkle in me.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

To see more sights from around the globe visit Our World at the sidebar.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

13 comments:

  1. It was much too cold for my taste. Normally we get rain after a snowfall. Hopefully our winter will not follow that pattern too much. We did not get snow here. Love your images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your icicle and crystal snow images had the kind of "glitter" that lights up days and warms hearts, Penelope. I would have described them as effervescent for sure. I think many are reaching for more meaningful wasy to celebrate the season as they feel the emptiness of materialsim. I love the handpainted bird and appreciate those involved with hospice work; a peaceful transition for the dying means everything to those left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m very thankful to hospice care which helped my mother to pass away with dignity in spite of fears and pains. Your photos are fabulous as always, I see the icicle’s cold sparkles with the blurred light in the backdrop. Japan is now gripped in the cold wave from the Arctic but the odds of snowfall in my part of the world seems to be very low. I wonder if it is you, Penelope, I see in the middle of the blue marble. Stay warm and have happy days ahead.

    Yoko

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty that ice is -- better than any fine art sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning shots. I think you capture the winter show so well. I love the way icicles, frost and snow look. Excellent narrative too. I used to make a big production of Christmas but I don't any more, at least not in terms of the season to spend type of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome captures and so much beauty!! Thanks as always for sharing, Penelope!! Hope you have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those icy photos - enjoy the blessings of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All lovely and creative festive photos!

    Happy Week,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty wintry shots! And that is a lovely bird ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photo of the melting icicle and the bird looks so wonderful just meant for your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Dalai Lama is so wise! And I do agree with Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quote from the Dalai Lama. Your post and photos are poetic. Yes materialism overshadows the festive season. let's hope many find the real spirit of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a gorgeous series of photos! The ice crystals and icicle are brilliant macro's, the ornaments inside and out are lovely. I like the idea of hanging them outdoors to give passers by a smile. Bless the volunteers who do such good work and to those who donate. Your little bird is a treasure. I like that quote from the Dalai Lama very much and also enjoyed the one from Charles Dickens.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.