Saturday, September 2, 2017

Along The Chickadee Loop Trail

NO CHICKADEES posed for my camera but I heard them chirping amid the late-summer greenery when I recently walked full-circle along a Sunnyside Acres trail in South Surrey.

Chickadee Loop is one of several paths in the urban forest, a haven from city traffic buzzing at the park's perimeters. Strange shapes sculpted by nature, mushrooms, berries, moss-covered branches and stumps are decor and much more for the insects and wildlife roaming in and beneath the canopy of trees. According to ever-circling seasons, the leaves should soon be turning red. I'm acutely aware, however, that any sense of predictability or security is largely an illusion, particularly after catastrophic events like the floods in Texas. The oceans are rising and climate patterns are changing, becoming more extreme. The vulnerabilities are real but my thoughts fly away from disaster when I hear the birds sing. You'll have to imagine them flitting in and out of the leaves, eluding my camera while a more earthbound creature, the banana slug, let me capture it and has crawled into OUR WORLD.


Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

8 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful walk -- and I swear I heard the chickadees as I scrolled !! Nice banana slug too -- I keep thinking I'll get a picture of one because they're kind of iconic for Oregon, but i never seem to see one when I have my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, gorgeous photos! There were a lot of beautiful and interesting sights on this trail. Thank you for taking us along :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a serene urban forest! So lovely. I too share your fears about climate change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an idllic tour via your photos ~ thanks, ^_^

    (A Shutterbug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful walk away from the sounds and sights of city life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The oceans are rising and climate patterns are changing, becoming more extreme. The vulnerabilities are real but my thoughts fly away from disaster when I hear the birds sing." Oh, yes, Maria, so true.
    Memories of the forests of my youth here, though, complete with fungi. I don't know when I last saw fungi, but I remember when I first saw some, as a child visiting my grandparents in Ocean Park. And the moss! The creepy-crawly moss!
    Hugs from here, to you and yours,
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know we don't know what is all going to come as the weather and everything is changing and it is indeed a relaxation when you are in the bush. I love the bush and when I see your beautiful photos I sigh. Love the ferns and the mosses and I don't know the name in english of your last two photos but when I literally translate the dutch word we call it fairy bench

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all the climatic changes occurring you really have to wonder what the fauna and flora will look like in twenty years. We already see change all around us - much of it not good.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.