Sunday, January 21, 2018

Time's Up, Women's March, Vancouver 2018

IT WAS cold and raining off and on during the second Women's March in Vancouver, Canada, post the 2017 US election. My friend and I eagerly joined the throng at Jack Poole Plaza where people were gathering. There were impactful speeches that went on for some time prior to the March.

Two hours in the wet and cold for people of all ages, including children and the elderly, was a bit much so many left before the March actually started. Nonetheless, there were plenty remaining and ready to stroll. Thousands of us took to the streets holding signs and chanting slogans like Time's Up.

Umbrellas abounded. Most marchers had a camera in hand to record the event.

Some signage could be seen on windows of buildings where we walked.

The mood was friendly and the atmosphere peaceful.

There were some boos .....

when we reached the downtown building people love to hate.

Mostly there was a feeling that the world needs more dignity and love for all.

A powerful poem was written and read at the rally earlier by teenager Noor Fadel. Harrassed on a Skytrain in Vancouver last December, she was grateful that one person came to her aide at the time. Her poem is called I Forgive You.

To me the March felt a touch more somber and I thought there was a greater sense of urgency in the air this year. You can check out last year's March HERE.

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

See OUR WORLD to explore sights from around the globe.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

9 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for participating in the march and doing it in a peaceful, respectful manner - all the while making your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A powerful post! It's so inspiring to see so many of us coming together around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Maria. I wish I could have marched (would have if I'd been in Eugene!)..... nothing happening here in Ft Myers, which tells you something. Thanks for doing your part ... All these people coming together -- it just has to help. It has to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and photographs from the march. I can't believe it's only been a year since the new U.S. president took office. It feels endless but good to see people energized and marching for what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw pictures of this event in various cities and in various countries too. However, although I understood last year's marches I've not read anything about the purpose of this one. Is it that it has become a generalised yearly event or is there a theme this year that I'm not aware of. I'd really like you to say some more about this if you could.
    Also, do you have a link to Noor's poem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the question, Lucy. It’s likely that if you go to Noor’s Facebook page and key in “I Forgive You” you’ll find a video of her reading the poem at the rally prior to the March. As for the theme, there were many, yet one. Speeches were from various groups, from Black Lives Matter to the Me Too movement. However, the overriding idea is that the disenfranchisement of women is no longer acceptable in any sphere of life. The event was a call to action and the acknowledgement that women’s rights are, indeed, human rights.

      Delete
  7. Again, I wasn't out there doing my bit to raise awareness so I am doubly grateful to you, Maria. Best of all is that everyone remained so peaceful and from your photos, I get the feeling it was an enjoyable time for many of you. As I write, there is yet another story of abuse of power on the news, this time about the leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party. I really do believe this time, the "jig is up".. I certainly do hope so. (I'd love to read that poem by Noor Fadel.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for getting out there and standing up (peacefully and respectfully) for women's rights. You are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.