Monday, August 21, 2017

Crescent Suns Over Crescent Beach

Today's much talked about Solar Eclipse was partial (at 80%) in my southwest corner of British Columbia. It reached its peak at Crescent Beach by around 10:20 this morning when we discovered even a partial sunlight of 20 percent went a long way to keep the day bright. It never got dark and the awesome effects of a crescent sun, resulting from the moon's shadow, were visible only with special glasses ... unless you were looking at the ground and benches.

Not only the bench but shadowy fingers were littered with crescent reflections.

I didn't look but pointed my camera in the sun's direction ...

risking the health of my camera taking the shot above without proper lenses.

Mostly, it was fun to walk on the tiny scatterings of moon shapes everywhere.

Sometimes a multitude of crescents, bunched up together, made the flat sandy walkway look like a bumpy trail of clouds gathering on a stormy day.

Someone brought a sunflower umbrella in honour of the occasion.

Although such grand events in the sky come along only once in a while, there's plenty of daily wonder beneath our feet to keep the young and young at heart busy and enthralled. I'm guessing the kids (below) missed the entire show because they were building their own spectacular event.


Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle to view more BC scenes.

To see more sights from around the globe visit OUR WORLD at the sidebar. This post will also be linked to Weekend Reflections and Skywatch Friday.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

16 comments:

  1. Awesome eclipse photos ~ quite the event ~ I was at the doctors ~ rather be digging in the sand with the kids ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crescent shapes on the ground were a clever way to record the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty crescent shapes! And I love that umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love all the crescent moon shapes on the ground never seen it. Love the beautiful umbrella as well. And kids will be kids. Nothing better than playing with sand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Enjoyed the pictures and your thoughts. Some of the pics in the eclipse post I'm working on for tomorrow will be similar but not as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fascinating photos, very enjoyable. Sadly we missed it. We were taking a friend home and a big, black cloud covered the sun and we didn't see a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots. Here in Ontario the eclipse was a bit of a non event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stayed inside the house during the eclipse. I noticed weird shadow formations on the balcony railings. It did not occur to me to take photos. It got really dark in the house. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful post. You are clever to think of looking down when everyone else is looking up. Cool photos and the last one made me laugh. I totally agree with your philosophy about daily wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love all those little crescent shadows you captured!! I had to look closely to see there is a child buried under all that sand in the last photo. I'm sure they are oblivious to everything outside of their own little orbit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shadows were almost the best thing about the eclipse, especially if you weren't in The Path. Looks like the kids were having fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got some fun shadows here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, the crescent shadows are cool. Great captures. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These were wonderful! I saw the total eclipse and kept watching the ground - I guess I was looking in the wrong place. I've seen various photos of the crescents and yours are the best by far. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. cool...I love the photo of the person walking among the crescent suns!

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.